I have been an avid fan of Rava Sheera specially the one made as prasadam for Satyanarayan Pujas since my childhood. Those days desserts were not a regular thing so when it was made it was luxury.
Growing up my fondness for the humble sheera only grew more.
Recently on the occasion of Akshaya Tritiya, I was tempted to make sheera. Had some pumpkin at home so thought of adding some colour and flavour to the sheera. Here presenting my Golden Pumpkin Rava Sheera / Halwa.
It is a traditional recipe. You can easily find all the ingredients in your kitchen. Milk can also be added instead of water for variation in taste. You can make other variations by adding mango, pineapple or banana (prasadacha sheera )too. Here is the recipe.
- 1 cup Rava / Sooji
- 3/4th cup Ghee
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 spoon Cardamom powder
- Kesar/ saffron
- You can add any preferred nuts or raisins
- Heat a pan on low heat.
- Add rava and ghee. Mix well and roast the rava on medium heat until it turns slightly golden.
- Then add pumpkin purée and mix it well.
- Add boiling hot water and dry fruits. Mix well.
- No lumps of rava should be formed.
- Add sugar after rava absorbs all the water.
- Add cardamom powder. Stir well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the lid and stir well.
- Add ghee and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and sheera is ready to serve.