Don’t be surprised if I say that as a kid I didn’t really know what pancakes were. Yes I never had pancakes though I had the Indian version of pancakes..the Malpua but that’s very different from the actual pancakes.
Moving to Australia changed my life in a lot of ways. Food playing a very important role. I started eating so many different varieties which otherwise I wouldn’t have. Usually when cricket is on and we don’t get to have breakfast at home and can at times sneak into (McDonald’s) Maccas for brekky, I love those really hot pancakes they serve there. It’s a real treat to have those warm pancakes with a dollop of butter on a cold winter morning….bliss 😍
But this winter Sundays are usually lazy….as we all are aware of the COVID situation everywhere, these days there is no cricket so I am making the best of it by enjoying my sleep ins. Another thing that I am regularly doing these days is dreaming about food….hahaha yes I dream about food all day. I love eating and now that I have started blogging I am also enjoying clicking pictures of the food I cook. So half the time I spend cooking and other half in admiring the food pics that I have clicked 😜 If you are regularly following my blog you might have also noticed that I love anything that is sweet 😋😋 My desserts list is the fastest growing 🙂 So on Friday I had this craving of eating pancakes but didn’t feel like going out so decided to make them at home. For some reason I couldn’t make them on Saturday. But nothing could stop me from having them on Sunday 😋🤩
Browsed through a few recipes and I think, because I love indulging in sweets, I usually try making eggless recipes just to make myself feel less guilty, so eggless recipes have kind of become my favourite. Also using whole wheat flour instead of plain flour reduces the guilt further so Eggless and whole wheat recipes attract me quickly. And remember last week I made this yummy Nutella at home? I decided to use that too… Also instead of making the regular pancakes on the pan I have used the Appe pan here just to make those cute bite sized bombs.
OMG!!! I seem to have been carried away with my writing. Lets jump to the less guilty and delicious recipe quickly before you start thinking what you came here for 😂😂
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (you are welcome to use plain flour if you want)
- 1/4th cup sugar
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4th cup oil or melted butter
- 1/4th cup hot water
- 1/2 Cup Nutella
- In a bowl, mix the milk and vinegar to make buttermilk. Mix it well and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix it well. Then make a well in the centre of the bowl and add in the buttermilk, vanilla extract and melted butter/oil. Combine well.
- Finally add in the hot water and mix the batter just enough. Be careful not to overmix here.
- Pour your batter in a squeezy bottle and set this aside. (If you don’t have a bottle you can also do it with a spoon)
- Warm the Nutella in the microwave for about 10 seconds, to get it to a smooth consistency. ( Again you can simply use a spoon to pour the Nutella or a piping bag)
- Heat an Appe pan and apply very little butter or oil in the small moulds so that the batter doesn’t stick to it. Squeeze out the pancake batter into your pan and fill it only halfway through. Quickly fill the Nutella in the centre of each pancake. Fill as much Nutella as you want.
- Squeeze out some more pancake batter over this to cover the surface completely.
- After a few minutes, flip over the pancake bomb and let it cook completely on the other side as well.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar for that extra touch and serve these warm and fresh!
Make them, enjoy them and do come back here to give me your feedback 😊
For those who don’t know what an Appe pan is, I am posting a pic of the pan below for a better idea 😊