Few days back I came across some videos of the apple rose pastry. Being a dessert lover the recipe just stuck in my head. The roses looked so gorgeous that I just had to try making them and ofcourse eating them too 😍😍
There are quite a few videos for the same on Youtube but ultimately you have to try it yourself to see what really works for you. Many times I find that the recipes look great in the youtube videos but when you actually try making them they turn out to be a disaster. This was one of the reasons why I wanted to start my blog. I could easily keep a record of tried and tested recipes that actually worked for me and not keep hunting for the perfect recipe when I wanted to make them again 😊
The recipe I followed asked to cook the roses in microwave with water and lemon juice for 3 minutes….I exactly followed it the first time but it didn’t work for me. Instead I tried reducing the time and it worked. Cooking the apples for 3 minutes actually made the apple lose its beautiful red colour and it kind of became too soft. So made a few changes to the recipe to suit me and here’s the recipe my way.
These gorgeous Apple Roses are easy to make and are a great dessert idea to flaunt your cooking skills 🤩 and disappear in no time 😊
Trust me I have received a lot of compliments for these yummilicious roses 😍❤️
Ingredients: to make 6 roses
- 1 sheet of puff pastry thawed (I used Pampas which is easily available here)
- 2 red apples (I used Bravo apples)
- juice of half lemon
- 1 tablespoon of flour, to sprinkle the counter
- 3 tablespoons of any jam (I used apricot jam)
- Cinnamon powder (optional)
- Powdered sugar for decorating
Preparation time: Around 20 minutes to prepare, plus 45 minutes to bake
1. Remove the puff pastry from freezer and thaw it at room temperature. Leave it out for at least 30 minutes before you start preparing.
2. Take a bowl and fill it half with water and the lemon juice. Cut the apples in half, remove the core and then make paper-thin slices. Leave the peel so it will give the red color to your roses. Place the sliced apples in the bowl immediately so that they don’t change color.
3. Microwave the apples in the bowl for about 1 minute, to make them slightly soft and easy to roll. You can also simmer the apple slices with the water in a small pan on the stove. The apple slices should be cooked just enough to bend without breaking.
4. Unwrap the puff pastry over a clean counter. Sprinkle some dry flour and using a rolling pin stretch the dough into a rectangular shape. Cut the dough in 6 equal strips.
5. In a small bowl, take three tablespoons of apricot jam with 1 teaspoon of water. Microwave for about 20 seconds so it’s easier to spread. Apply a thin layer of jam on each strip of dough.
6. Preheat the oven to 180 º C. Drain the apples.
7. Arrange the apple slices on the dough, overlapping one another. Make sure the top (skin side) of the slices sticks a little out of the strip. (If you are using cinnamon, you can sprinkle it now or can also mix it along with the jam)
8. Fold up the bottom part of the dough.
9. Starting from one end, carefully roll the dough, keeping the apple slices in place. Seal the edge at the end, pressing with your finger, and place in a regular muffin cup. Make sure to grease the muffin tray .
10. Do the same for all 6 roses. Bake at 180 º C for about 40-45 minutes, until fully cooked.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
These are best eaten right after baking, when still warm and crisp.