Food brings back so many memories… do you agree? Recently I was browsing through my facebook groups and happened to see so many posts of Caramel pudding. It instantly brought back memories of my childhood days. Most sundays my mom used to make this bread pudding in the pressure cooker. I used to watch her make it every time as it really amazed me. As a child, it was so exciting for me to see the sugar caramelize and form that beautiful golden brown layer on top of the pudding. I used to eagerly wait for it to cool down and enjoy it.
So after seeing so many posts, I started craving for it and had no option other than make it myself. That day I didn’t have eggs at home but couldn’t wait for another day so decided to make it without eggs. I am always in for experimenting as its ok to fail till I get the desired result 😊 But it was a successful attempt and the pudding turned out super awesome. Had immediately sent the pic to my mum to share my achievement ☺️ I know she is very proud of her not so little girl now 😉
So here I will share the recipe I followed for an eggless version and hopefully soon will share my mum’s recipe too. Till then enjoy this one…. It’s quick, easy and yummy 😊
6 slices of bread
3 Tbsp Custard powder
1/4 cup water
1/4 + 1/4 cup Sugar
2 cups milk
- Take the bread slices, cut the edges and grind it to crumbs.
- Mix 3 Tbsp custard powder in 1/4th cup water and keep aside.
- In a pan, add 1/4 cup sugar. Cook on low heat until the sugar caramelizes and gets a beautiful golden brown colour. Then pour it in the mould or pan you will be using for the pudding.
- In another pan, heat 2 cups of milk, add 1/4th cup of sugar. Cook the milk till the sugar melts.
- Add the custard powder mixture to the milk and stir well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Now add the bread crumbs and mix well. Cook it for a minute.
- Pour the entire mixture into the pan in which you had previously poured the caramelized sugar.
- I baked it in the oven by preheating the oven at 180 degrees and baking it for about 25-30 minutes. You can also steam it on gas in a deep pan by adding water to the pan and then placing the mould in it and covering it.
- Once done let it come to room temperature. Then cool it in a refrigerator and serve it chilled.
Don’t forget to drop me a line when you make it. I love reading the messages. They are like an energy tonic for me 😍❤️